Accent Energy raised my price per kilowatt hour from 12 cents to 24 cents with no notice. When I got my bill in June, I was shocked to see that it was $500, but did not catch on that my rate had increased. I thought maybe I wasn’t being careful enough with my energy consumption. I closed off 4 rooms of my house, and set the thermostat to 81 degrees in the day and 78 degrees at night. This has not been comfortable. Having done that, I was expecting a much lower bill.

On July 11, I received a bill for $784.51. After all I had done to cut down on my energy use, I was astounded. After further inspection of my bill, I realized they had doubled my rate. I thought that I had signed up for a one year plan, so I wasn’t even expecting anything to change. When I was with TXU, they sent me a hard copy letter notifying me that the change was coming so that I would have plenty of time to sign up with them again or switch. I assumed that was required by law.

When I called Accent Energy, they basically said too bad so sad. I asked them if I could go back to a fixed rate again. They said I could, but it would take another billing cycle to get the rate started. It has been 95 to 100 degrees every day this past month, so my bill for the next month will be well over $800 again at 24 cents per kw hour. I asked them why since I was an existing customer they couldn’t activate the new rate immediately. They said that it takes a lot of time to process the change. Well that’s really convenient for them considering it is the hottest month of the year and I will get fleeced for another $800 to $1,000.

They told me that they weren’t required to notify me of the change. Whether this is true or not, it is really an underhanded business practice to do this to people. This is not an ethical company.

Had an Experience with Accent Energy?

Comments